Understanding the criminal process is a major obstacle for many people. To help ensure your path is navigated smoothly and correctly, you must hire the correct attorney. I have 8 years experience as a prosecutor and I am just the right attorney for your legal needs.
- The first document filed with the court.
- Complaints are filed either by the police or a private citizen.
- The Complaint alleges the crime against you
- Arraignment is your first appearance before a judge.
- The judge will inform you of the charges against you.
- The judge will set your bail and your preliminary hearing date.
- You have a Constitutional right to an attorney at this stage and you should have an attorney for this proceeding!
- This is the first time you will hear the evidence alleged by the Commonwealth.
- Decisions you make at this proceeding can and often do affect the future of your case.
- The District Attorney’s office will inform you of the charges pending against you in the Court of Common Pleas.
- Request Discovery.
- File Suppression motions.
- File joinder or severance motions.
- Your day in court to fight the charges.
- You will either plead guilty or go to trial.
- You can either have a jury trial or a bench trial.
- The judge ultimately decides the sentence.
- Sentencing can be continued for a Pre-sentencing Investigation to be completed.
- Defendants are allowed to address the court.